Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Garden Goddess

I've been spending as much time as possible in my garden. We've been putting a new deck on the back of our house, which will expand our outdoor living space quite a bit. It's been a bit chaotic back there, but it is nearing completion and peace will return soon. I've been planting and nurturing lots of flowers, which is a little different for me. I'm hoping to attract more butterflies and hummingbirds with the colorful and fragrant perennials I've been putting in. My fingernails almost always have a telltale line of rich soil under them. Toenails, too, since I usually garden barefoot. There are few things on this earth that make me happier than digging in dirt!

I come by this passion honest...my mom is a garden goddess, too. We share observations, updates on growth and development, sightings of interesting wildlife, and the plants and seeds that populate our little patches of earth. For both of us, our gardens are oases, places of retreat and renewal...and fun. Sharing time in our special places is important to both of us. Some of the best parties I've been to have been in my mom's backyard, and in my own. With the hot tub and the new deck, our place will be ready for celebrations!

No comments: