Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Excited!

I've been busy amassing resources and materials for my latest course, and learning the new course management system through which it'll be delivered. I'm excited about having a formal venue for the exploration of a topic so near and dear to my heart.

As I review and ready these materials, I've been reflecting on the ways in which race is minimized in our world, and yet nearly everything is predicated upon it. I believe that race matters. Doesn't matter what you call it (a social construct or a biological reality), but it has an impact on everyone's life in some way, whether one knows it or not. I'm wondering how my students will engage with that notion. As a diverse group, there's bound to be divergent experiences of race. Where will we find our common ground? It all remains to be seen, and is part of the excitement I feel as I prepare for Saturday and the first day of class.

No comments: